Graduate Civil / Structural Engineer
We are recruiting for a GRADUATE ENGINEER to join our Nuclear Engineering Team in the Cumbria Office based at Westlakes Science Park. This is an opportunity to develop your career on the doorstep of the Lake District National Park!
We’re looking for graduates who are eager to learn and enthusiastic about engineering, with a proactive attitude and plenty of drive.
This role will automatically enrol the successful candidate in the Westlakes Engineering Graduate Development programme, which will support you in your career development and with your goal of achieving professional registration.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- MSc / MEng in Civil Engineering / Structural Engineering at 2.1 or above.
- Flexibility to travel for work.
- A commitment to the pursuit of becoming a chartered professional and continuous professional development (CPD).
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong numerical, analysis and design skills.
- Interest in new, digital ways of working, technologies and automation.
- An understanding of CAD and structural design packages.
- Committed to work and capable of proactively managing own tasks, workload and costs.
- Planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work as part of a team.
- Previous post graduate experience would be an advantage, but not essential.
- A full driver’s licence would be an advantage.
Ideally, you should also be able to demonstrate that you are:
- A well-mannered and professional individual with a positive ‘can do’ attitude. Proactive in nature who takes pride in ‘getting things done’ to a high standard.
- Able to produce well-presented and accurate drawings and reports.
- Able to demonstrate a keen interest in a career within the engineering and construction environment.
- This role is based at our Head Office at Whitehaven, you may be required to travel to other company and client sites may be necessary.
- Although we operate across various industries, our Whitehaven engineering team operate primarily within the nuclear industry.
- Hours are flexible, but with core hours of 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday.
Please note that this role and any offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of security clearance. This includes – but is not limited to – identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks. You must have the right to work in the UK and be able to provide verification of UK residency.
Why Work for Westlakes?
Our modern Westlakes office overlooks the Western Lake District fells, based on the edge of the Lake District on the Cumbrian coastline. Being based within Cumbria, we actively promote a work life balance and recognise the attraction of enjoying the magnificent landscape of the area all year round and combining that with a rewarding career in your choice of industry.
Westlakes Engineering are passionate about the training and development of our future engineers. We have established various internal training programmes, including our award-winning professional registration (graduate development) programme, our leadership development programme and our project management training programme.
Our graduate development programme offers you the chance to develop your technical engineering skills whilst also expanding your commercial and leadership skills with dedicated mentor support and a hands-on approach to learning and developing. As we are an SME, you’ll never be far from the action, working closely with our clients and being given access to early opportunities to drive your career forward such as opportunities to manage your own projects and develop your own client relationships. Choosing to work for us means being able to gain a wide array of experience across many varied projects working with people from different backgrounds.
Our reputation is one of quality, safety and integrity. Our project portfolio is diverse, from managing multi-million-pound complex projects to small, unique intricate projects. Our clients range from individuals to multi-national corporations and nuclear sites. One day is never the same as the next and you’ll quickly develop not only your technical skills but also your business and commercial acumen. As you work on challenging and exciting projects, you’ll also continually learn from skilled and knowledgeable industry experts. The ever-changing conditions of our industries means we need individuals who can adapt, change and thrive when working in dynamic environments, and we strive to balance these demands with a focus on inclusivity, well-being and flexible working which helps to bring the best out in all our staff.
During the graduate programme there will also be an opportunity to be involved with a number of graduate related activities outside of your day job. We’ll encourage you to become a STEM ambassador and attend STEM events in local schools and colleges. Such activities aren’t mandatory, but they underpin some of the behavioural skills required for chartership and will help you develop your professional network.
As part of this role, we will also be offering:
- An excellent career with a competitive salary (subject to qualifications and experience).
- Exciting and varied project experience.
- Support and training to develop your career through professional accreditation.
- Employer pension contributions.
- 24 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays.
- Life Assurance.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
- Flexible work schedules and opportunities to work remotely.
- Parental Leave and Childcare Vouchers.
- Other benefits include Cycle to Work schemes and Railcard schemes.
To apply for this role, or to request further information, please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference – Graduate Engineer – Whitehaven – June 2022.
Please note that because we consider each applicant individually (and owing to the high volume of interest) inevitably there can be a slight delay in the response time. We will ensure all candidates are communicated to as quickly as possible.
Date posted: June 2022